ARCHIVED Performance Benchmarks for Screening Mammography
In the United States, a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulation requires limited auditing of clinical outcomes for screening and diagnostic mammography examinations that have been assessed as suspicious for or highly suggestive of malignancy. More comprehensive auditing is performed by many mammography facilities in the United States and other countries. Auditing is thought to be a useful quality assurance procedure, providing performance feedback to mammography facilities and interpreting radiologists.
The following tables and figures contain a range of performance measures pertinent to the comprehensive auditing of screening mammograms. Pooled data from BCSC registries provides by far the largest reported experience of U.S. screening mammography practice, from which reasonable and realistic screening benchmarks may be derived.
Updated screening performance benchmarks using data from 2011-2018 can be found here.
Note: Lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS) diagnoses have been excluded from these performance measures.
Tables & Figures
The archived estimates are based on 1,682,504 screening mammograms performed between 2007 and 2013.
- Clinical Demographics for 1,682,504 Screening Mammography Examinations from 2007 - 2013
- Abnormal Interpretations for 1,682,504 Screening Mammography Examinations from 2007 - 2013
- Cancers for 1,682,504 Screening Mammography Examinations from 2007 - 2013
- Sensitivity, Specificity and False Negative Rate for 1,682,504 Screening Mammography Examinations from 2007 - 2013
- Benchmarks for Abnormal Screening Mammography Interpretations from 2007 - 2013
- Benchmarks for Cancers for Screening Mammography Examinations from 2007 - 2013
- Benchmarks for Sensitivity, Specificity and False Negative Rate for 1,682,504 Screening Mammography Examinations from 2007 - 2013
Screening Performance Benchmark Publications
Please also see the following BCSC screening performance benchmarks publications related to the data presented above:
Lehman CD, Arao RF, Sprague BL, Lee JM, Buist DS, Kerlikowske K, Henderson LM, Onega T, Tosteson AN, Rauscher GH, Miglioretti DL. National Performance Benchmarks for Modern Screening Digital Mammography: Update from the Breast Cancer Surveillance Consortium. Radiology 2017;283(1):49–58. [Abstract or Full Text]
Rosenberg RD, Yankaskas BC, Abraham LA, Sickles EA, Lehman CD, Geller BM, Carney PA, Kerlikowske K, Buist DS, Weaver DL, Barlow WE, Ballard-Barbash R. Performance benchmarks for screening mammography. Radiology 2006 Oct;241(1):55-66. [Abstract]